Work with us - Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I am qualified to work in childcare in the Netherlands?

Working in childcare in The Netherlands is possible under two strict conditions; a valid VOG and you need to be qualified according to Dutch regulations. If you have a Dutch diploma, you can check if you are fully qualified through this link

If you have a diploma from another European country, then you will need to apply for recognition of your qualification through DUO (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs). Further information on this process is available through this link.

If you have a diploma from outside the EU, you first need to do an international credential evaluation. This is a written statement, which indicates the value of a foreign diploma or study curriculum in the Netherlands. It contains a comparison of a foreign diploma or study curriculum with the Dutch educational system. You can apply for a credential evaluation through

In some cases this is enough, but sometimes, when it is nog completely clear if a diploma is enough, a check can be done through FCB (

What is a VOG and how do I get it?

If you would like to work in childcare in the Netherlands you need to have a Certificate of Good Conduct, or a ‘Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag’ (VOG). This is also known as a Certificate of Good Behaviour. You will not be able to start work at Big Ben Kids before you are in possession of this certificate/declaration.

You may apply for a VOG online at the Ministry of Security and Justice. Zo Kinderopvang (Big Ben Kids is the international label of Zo Kinderopvang) requests a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) for the employee through the website of the Dienst Justis (Integrity and Screening Agency). Once our Human Resources department has requested the application, the employee will receive an email with a link to the subsequent procedure. Employees log in with their DigiD and pay for the certificate through iDeal. In order to request the certificate, the employee needs a valid email address, iDeal and a DigiD code. Once the application has been completed and payment has been made, the Centraal Orgaan Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag (COVOG) will decide if the employee will get the certificate. If so, the employee will receive the certificate by post. As soon as the certificate is received, the employee needs to contact the Human Resources department of Zo Kinderopvang.

More information about applying for a Certificate of Good Conduct online can be found on the website of the Ministry of Security and Justice.

What kind of candidates we are looking for?

In addition to formal qualifications, it is important that applicants are able to demonstrate either an international background and an internationally focused mindset. Ideally candidates will have either lived, worked or studied abroad and speak more than one language. At least you speak fluently English.

It is important that our staff are able to appreciate not just the advantages but also the challenges that the international life style of the clients of Big Ben Kids can have on the children in their care.

What does the recruitment process involve?

The recruitment process for a position at Big Ben Kids varies according to the vacancy you are applying for. In general, candidates applying to a childcare teacher vacancy have an interview (mostly by phone) with the recruitment staff of Zo Kinderopvang. Next step is you will need to undertake a trial day at one of our international locations in The Hague or Wassenaar. Performance during this trial day will be assessed and used as a contributing factor in the decision making process before a position is offered. During this trailing day you have an personal interview with the Manager of the location. For more senior positions, or vacancies within the business units, the procedure consists of an initial personal interview at our headquarter, this may be followed by a second follow up interview depending on the type of position.

We also perform a reference check on all applicants prior to offering a position – as well as the compulsory police check.

How do I apply for a job?

To apply for a job you need to send an up-to-date CV and a letter of application explaining your motivation for applying for this position and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate. All documents should be emailed to We will acknowledge receipt and inform you of the timescale in place for the particular vacancy you are applying for

What are the terms of employment at Big Ben Kids?

The terms of employment at Big Ben Kids are in line with the Dutch collective labour agreement for Childcare (CAO Kinderopvang). Click here for more information about the CAO Kinderopvang. An additional 8% Holiday Allowance is paid monthly – rather than held back and paid in May. Pension entitlements are built up through through Pensioenfonds Zorg & Welzijn. We ensure that all our teachers receive regular and up to date First Aid and Emergency training.

What are the holiday entitlements?

According to the collective labour agreement for childcare (CAO Kinderopvang) you are entitled to 210 hours holiday per year based on a 36 hour working week. Click here for more information about the CAO Kinderopvang.

What kind of contract team I'll receive?

All new employees start with a 7-month contract – the first two months of which are probationary.

Working hours

The daycare working hours are Mo – Fri 7:30 AM – 18:15 PM and after school care working hours Mo,Tue, Thu, Fr 14:30 PM – 18:45 PM and We 11:30 AM – 18:45 PM

Our After School Care Teachers are expected to be available for work during Holiday Camps.
Substitute/Supply Child Care teachers have flexible hours depending on requirements.

this website uses cookies. Settings